How Cases are Handled
The first thing an Indianapolis personal injury lawyer will do is meet with you to discuss your case. The next thing your lawyer will do is to perform an independent investigation into your claim. Your lawyer may review the following:
- Your medical bills
- Your medical reports
- Laws made by judges or enacted by legislatures that may apply to your situation
- The scene of the accident
- Reports filed by law enforcement
- Statements made by witnesses
Depending on the nature of the incident and the available evidence, your lawyer may decide to hire a private investigator to research the accident. Your Indianapolis personal injury law firm will also contact the insurance carrier for the person or organization that caused the accident.
Once your lawyer has completed the initial investigation and contacted the defendants’ insurer, he or she will stay in touch with you. The lawyer may instruct you to do the following things:
- Keep track of any possible witnesses for your case
- Maintain your records of lost income due to time missed from work
- Send copies of your medical bills and any other expenses that are related to your injury
- Do your best to recover from your injury
- Follow the advice of your doctors and other medical professionals
Your lawyer may also ask you to sign authorization forms releasing your medical records. Your lawyer will keep in touch with you and let you know how your case is progressing. To speak with an Indianapolis personal injury law firm about your case, call the offices of Vernon J. Petri & Associates at (800) 486-4450 or (317) 780-6610.